Sambo is a relatively modern martial art, combat sport and self-defense system developed in the Soviet Union. The word Sambo is an acronym meaning 'self-defense without weapons' in Russian. Sambo has its roots in Japanese Judo and traditional folk styles of Wrestling such as Armenian Koch, Georgian Chidaoba, Moldovan Trîntǎ, Tatar Köräş, Uzbek Kurash, Mongolian Khapsagay and Azerbaijani Gulesh.
International Sambo Federation (FIAS)
FIAS President: Vasily Shestakov
FIAS Secretary General: Roberto Ferraris
SPORTACCORD WORLD COMBAT GAMES 2013 QUALIFICATION SYSTEM
• Europe - 9 Athletes: 1-8 places in the European Championship 2013 + 1 Athlete European Executive board decision
• Asia - 5 Athletes: 1-3 places in the Asian Championship 2013 + 1 Athlete Asian Executive board decision
• Pan-America - 2 Athletes: finalists of the Continental Championship 2013
• Africa - 2 Athletes: finalists of the Continental Championship 2013
Total: 18 Athletes in each weight category.
Women (36 Athletes):
• Europe - 6 Athletes: 1-6 places in the European Championship in 2013
• Asia – 4 Athletes: 1-3 places in the Asian Championship 2013
• Pan-America - 1 Athlete: Continental Champion 2013
• Africa - 1 Athlete: Continental Champion 2013
Total: 12 Athletes in each category
6 Athletes: FIAS Executive board decision
In case if it's not possible to single out the participants with these criteria, the final decision is to be made by the Continental Federation Executive Board.